Coffee County, Tennessee
Coffee County, Tennessee Facts
When was Coffee County, TN Created?
Coffee County was founded on January 8, 1836 from Franklin County, Warren County and Bedford County. This county was named in honor of John Coffee (1772–1833), frontiersman, planter, and veteran of Creek War and War of 1812. .
What is the County Seat of Coffee County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Manchester also, the county government website is www.coffeecountytn.org .
What counties are adjacent to Coffee County, TN?
Bordering counties are Cannon County (north), Warren County (northeast), Grundy County (east), Franklin County (south), Moore County (southwest), Bedford County (west) and Rutherford County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Coffee County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Hillsboro, Manchester, Tullahoma .
Coffee County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Coffee County Courthouse?
Coffee County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Coffee County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Coffee County courthouse in 1876, destroying some records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Coffee County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 1327 Mcarthur St, Manchester, TN 37355
- Phone: 931-723-5106
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Probate Records: 1836
- Coffee County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P O Box 178, Manchester, TN 37349
- Phone: (931) 723-5130
- Land & Deed Records:1836
- Coffee County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 300 Hillsboro Blvd., Manchester, TN 37349
- Phone: 931-723-5110
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1872
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1852
- County Court Minutes: 1836
- Coffee County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 1341 McArthur Street, Suite 3, Manchester, TN 37355
- Phone: (931) 723-5126
- Tax Records: 1836-1839, 1856-1862, 1865-1867, 1870, 1875-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Coffee County Health Department, 800 Park Street, Manchester, TN 37355; (931) 723-5134 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Coffee County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Coffee County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Coffee County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Coffee County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Coffee County can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Coffee Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Coffee Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Coffee Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Coffee County, TN?
- Coffee County Archives, 1327 McArthur Drive, Suite One, Manchester, Tenn. 37355; Phone: (931) 455-4098
County Historical Society, 101 W. Fort St.,Box 2, Manchester 37355-7502
- Coffee County Lannom Memorial Library, 312 North Collins Street, Tullahoma, TN 37388 931-455-2460
- Coffee County-Manchester Public Library, 1005 Hillsboro Blvd., Manchester, TN 37355 931-723-5143
Coffee County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Coffee County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Coffee County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Coffee County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Coffee County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Coffee Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Coffee Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Coffee Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Coffee Co. TN Census Records
Coffee Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Coffee Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Coffee Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Coffee Co. TN General and History Websites
Coffee Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Coffee Co. TN Military Records