Dyer County, Tennessee
Dyer County, Tennessee Facts
When was Dyer County, TN Created?
Dyer County was founded on October 16, 1823 from the Western District. This county was named in honor of Tennessee state legislator Robert Henry Dyer .
What is the County Seat of Dyer County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Dyersburg also, the county government website is www.co.dyer.tn.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Dyer County, TN?
Bordering counties are Lake County (north), Obion County (northeast), Gibson County (east), Crockett County (southeast), Lauderdale County (south), Mississippi County, AR (southwest) and Pemiscot County, MO (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Dyer County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Dyersburg, Newbern, Trimble .
Dyer County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Dyer County Courthouse?
Dyer County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Dyer County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Dyer County courthouse in 1864, most early records were destroyed.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Dyer County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 115 W Market Street, Dyersburg, TN 38024
- Phone: 731-286-7814
- Marriage Records: 1860
- Probate Records: 1853
- Dyer County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 1360, Dyersburg, TN 38025-1360
- Phone: (731) 286-1360
- Land & Deed Records: 1822
- Dyer County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: P.O. Box 1360, Dyersburg, TN 38024-1360
- Phone: 731-288-7862
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1854
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1863
- County Court Minutes: 1848
- Dyer County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P.O. Box 1360, Dyersburg, TN 38024
- Phone: (731) 286-7804
- Tax Records: 1836, 1839, 1862, 1873-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Dyer County Health Department, 1629 Woodlawn Extd., Dyersburg, TN 38024; (731) 285-7311; (731) 285-7359 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Dyer County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Dyer County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Dyer County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Dyer County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Dyer County can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Dyer Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dyer Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dyer Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Dyer County, TN?
- Dyer County Historical Society, 120B McGaughey Street E., Dyersburg, TN 38024; 731-286-7829
- Dyersburg State Community College, Learning Resources Center, 1510 Lake Road, Dyersburg, TN 38024 731-286-3225
- McIver's Grant Public Library, 204 N. Mill Street, Dyersburg, TN 38024 731-285-5032
Dyer County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Dyer County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Dyer County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Dyer County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Dyer County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Dyer Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Dyer Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Dyer Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Dyer Co. TN Census Records
Dyer Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Dyer Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Dyer Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Dyer Co. TN General and History Websites
Dyer Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Dyer Co. TN Military Records