Morgan County, Tennessee
Morgan County, Tennessee Facts
When was Morgan County, TN Created?
Morgan County was founded on October 15, 1817 from Roane County and Anderson County. This county was named in honor of American Revolutionary War officer Daniel Morgan (1736–1802).
What is the County Seat of Morgan County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Wartburg also, the county government website is www.morgancountychamber.com .
What counties are adjacent to Morgan County, TN?
Bordering counties are Scott County (northeast), Anderson County (east), Roane County (south), Cumberland County (southwest) and Fentress County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Morgan County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Coalfield, Oakdale, Oliver Springs, Petros, Rugby, Sunbright, Wartburg .
Morgan County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Morgan County Courthouse?
Morgan County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Morgan County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There were fires at the Morgan County courthouse in 1826, 1870 and 1904 destroying sone early records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Morgan County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: PO Box 301, 415 North Kingston Street, Wartburg, TN 37887
- Phone: 423-346-3480
- Marriage Records: 1862
- Probate Records: 1866
- Morgan County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 311, Wartburg, TN 37887
- Phone: (423) 346-3105
- Land & Deed Records: 1818
- Morgan County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 415 N. Kingston, Wartburg, TN 37887-0163
- Phone: 423-346-3503
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1865
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1840
- County Court Minutes: 1848
- Morgan County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P.O. Box 364, Wartburg, TN 37887
- Phone: (423) 346-3130
- Tax Records: 1836, 1881-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Morgan County Health Department, 1111 Knoxville Highway, P. O. Box 343, Wartburg, TN 37887-0343; (423) 346-6272 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Morgan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Morgan County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Morgan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Morgan County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Morgan County can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Morgan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Morgan County, TN?
- Historic Rugby, Inc., 5517 Rugby Highway, PO Box 8, Rugby, TN 37733 423-628-2441
- Wartburg Public Library, (Morgan County Genealogical & Historical Society), 514 Spring Street, PO Box 684, Wartburg, TN 37887 423-346-2479
- Morgan County Genealogical and Historical Society, P. O. Box 684, Wartburg, TN 37887; (423) 346-2479. Date of Records: 1818 to present
Morgan County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Morgan County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Morgan County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Morgan County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Morgan County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Morgan Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Morgan Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Morgan Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Morgan Co. TN Census Records
Morgan Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Morgan Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Morgan Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Morgan Co. TN General and History Websites
Morgan Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Morgan Co. TN Military Records