Union County, Tennessee
Union County, Tennessee Facts
When was Union County, TN Created?
Union County was founded on January 3, 1850 from Anderson County, Campbell County, Knox County, Claiborne County and Grainger County. This county was named after for its creation from parts of five counties.
What is the County Seat of Union County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Maynardville also, the county government website is www.unioncountytn.com .
What counties are adjacent to Union County, TN?
Bordering counties are Claiborne County (north), Grainger County (east), Knox County (south), Anderson County (southwest) and Campbell County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Union County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Luttrell, Maynardville, Plainview .
Union County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Union County Courthouse?
Union County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Union County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Union County courthouse in 1869 and in the 1870s.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Union County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 825 Main Street, Maynardville, TN 37807
- Phone: (865) 992-8043
- Marriage Records: 1864
- Probate Records: 1859
- Union County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 901 Main Street, Suite 108, Maynardville, TN 37807
- Phone: (865) 992-8024
- Land & Deed Records: 1856
- Union County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 901 Main Street, Suite 220, Maynardville, TN 37807
- Phone: 865-992-5493
- Chancery Court Minutes: ?
- Circuit Court Minutes: ?
- County Court Minutes: 1854
- Union County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 901 Main Street; Suite 106, Maynardville, TN 37807
- Phone: 865-992-3211
- Tax Records: 1854-1868, 1873, 1874, 1893-1898 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Union County Health Department, 4335 Maynardville Highway, P. O. Box 460, Maynardville, TN 37807-0460; (865) 992-3867 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Union County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Union County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Union County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Union County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Union County can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Union Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Union County, TN?
- Union County Historical Society Inc., P. O. Box 95, Maynardville, TN 37807; Ph (865) 992-2136; Sponsor of the "Roy Acuff Museum & Library" Hours the museum and library are open is Sunday 1:00 to 5:00 p.m., Monday and Tuesday 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
Union County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Union County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Union County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Union County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Union County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Union Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Union Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Union Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Union Co. TN Census Records
Union Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Union Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Union Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Union Co. TN General and History Websites
Union Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Union Co. TN Military Records