White County, Tennessee
White County, Tennessee Facts
When was White County, TN Created?
White County was founded on September 11, 1806 from Jackson County and Smith County. This county was named in honor of John White, Revolutionary War soldier and the first European-American settler in the county
What is the County Seat of White County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Sparta also, the county government website is sparta-chamber.net .
What counties are adjacent to White County, TN?
Bordering counties are Bledsoe County (Southeast), Cumberland County (East), DeKalb County (West), Putnam County (North), Van Buren County (South) and Warren County (Southwest) .
What cities and towns are in White County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Doyle, Sparta .
White County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the White County Courthouse?
White County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in White County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- White County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 1 East Brockman Way, Sparta, TN 38583
- Phone: (931) 836-3712
- Marriage Records: 1806
- Probate Records: 1806
- White County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 86, Sparta, TN 38583
- Phone: (931) 836-2817
- Land & Deed Records: 1801
- White County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 111 Depot Street, Suite 1, Sparta, TN 38583
- Phone: 931-836-3205
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1842
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1859
- County Court Minutes: 1806
- White County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 1 E. Bockman Way, Courthouse, Sparta, TN 38583
- Phone: (931) 836-3480
- Tax Records: 1811-1818, 1821-1829, 1832-1841, 1847-1850, 1863, 1871-1889, 1891-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- White County Health Department, 135 Walker Street, Sparta, TN 38583-1725; (931) 836-2201 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find White County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
White County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for White County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What White County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for White County can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
White Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. White Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. White Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for White County, TN?
- White County Archives, Room 304, Courthouse, Sparta , TN 38583; Phone: (931) 837-4066
- White County Genealogical-historical Society, P.O. Box 721, Sparta, TN 38583; (615) 836-2293
- White County Public Library, 144 S. Main Street, Sparta, TN 38583 931-836-3613
White County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other White County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in White County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to White County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular White County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
White Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
White Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
White Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
White Co. TN Census Records
White Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
White Co. TN Church & Bible Records
White Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
White Co. TN General and History Websites
White Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
White Co. TN Military Records